The HSE is the largest employer in the State employing approximately 70,000 people directly. The most recent figures from the State Claims Agency which handles medical negligence claims on behalf of the HSE tell us that there are about 7,000 active claims pending. Approximately half of these concern direct clinical care patients have received which they say has caused them harm. Negligence arises in a hospital or medical setting when a patient suffers an injury arising from a breach of duty of care on the part of the medical staff.

Claiming compensation 

It is important to understand that compensation paid for medical negligence against the HSE is not paid from the HSE budget itself. Under the Clinical Indemnity Scheme (CIS) the State has assumed responsibility for insuring and management of medical negligence claims arising from the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients in its hospitals. It is also important to note that claims are not made against individual medical professionals personally but rather against the HSE as their employer.

Who is covered under the Clinical Indemnity Scheme?

All HSE hospitals, doctors, consultants, nurses and other clinical staff employed by health agencies, whether permanent or temporary. Dentists providing public practice are also covered and certain other healthcare providers.

Are private hospitals covered?

The Clinical Indemnity Scheme does not cover private hospitals with the exception of obstetric/gynaecological practices in two particular private hospitals. A special insurance arrangement applies generally in respect of private hospitals.

How can I claim compensation against the HSE?

You should contact a specialist medical negligence solicitor for legal advice. Usually your medical records will be taken up and examined by an independent expert (normally based in the UK). If the expert report is supportive for a claim then you can decide to make a claim with reasonable confidence you will be successful.

How much compensation can I claim for medical negligence?

This all depends on the level of harm suffered and losses incurred by you or your loved one. No two cases are the same however as experienced medical negligence solicitors we would have a very good idea what to expect for you. That will become clear when we understand fully the injury and losses which can take time to learn. For that reason, it is usually difficult to advise you at the outset but as the claim proceeds and we learn more about your injury and your future needs we can certainly give a good indication of how much compensation to expect.

If you or a loved one have suffered harm because of HSE negligence, then you may be able to make a claim for compensation. It is important you seek advice as soon as possible to protect your legal rights. We believe in putting you our client first and we are committed to achieving the best result possible while all the time remaining sensitive to your needs. Please feel free to reach out to us below and will be pleased to discuss your case and offer no obligation advice.

To contact one of our Health Service Executive negligence claims solicitors please call 0818 888 555 or WhatsApp/call 087 398 7386 or complete our online enquiry form

Contact Us

Get In Touch


77 Camden Street Lower, Dublin 2, D02 XE80