What is cancer?
Cancer unfortunately is one of the most common illnesses in Ireland affecting about 45,000 people each year. It is a disease caused by a change in the body’s cells. The normal cells grow out of control, creating a tumour. If left untreated, the tumour can cause problems, including:
- Spreading into nearby normal tissues
- Causing pressure on other body structures
- Spreading to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system or bloodstream
There are more than 100 documented types of cancer. Oncology is the branch of medicine concerned with the study, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer. Almost all cancers can be detected by appropriate investigations and screening, but the presenting symptoms can vary between people and detection can sometimes be complicated or at least not straightforward.
We have successfully concluded many cancer claims where there was an incorrect or missed diagnosis of cancer because of, for example, radiology or GP error resulting in a delayed diagnosis.
The standard of cancer care in Ireland in recent years is generally high, but where there is a misdiagnosis or negligent delay, the consequences can be completely devastating for the patient and their family.
John McCabe Solicitors assist clients and their and families who have suffered late or misdiagnoses of cancer in pursuing medical negligence claims.
We will assess carefully the circumstances of your case and where we consider there is sufficient cause to investigate further, will instruct an independent medical expert (usually from the UK) to examine your history and medical records including any slides or radiological records and form an opinion on your level of care which is the starting point before legal proceedings can begin.
What can I claim compensation for?
Typically with cancer and negligence it arises when a medical professional should have referred the patient for further investigations such as diagnostic examination which should in turn lead to accurate diagnosis and timely treatment. In circumstance where the medical professional misreads a test result causing a delay in diagnosis of cancer, this can have a devastating impact on life expectancy, the available treatment options, and the length that treatment may be offered.
We have experience in dealing with medical negligence claims arising from the misdiagnosis and delay in diagnosis of various types of cancer including:
- Oral/mouth cancer claims
- Bone cancer claims
- Brain tumour claims
- Breast cancer claims
- Cervical cancer claims
- Liver cancer claims
- Lung cancer claims
- Testicular cancer claims
- Spinal tumour claims
- Bowel/colorectal cancer claims
Our cancer misdiagnosis solicitors
We believe in putting you our client first. We are committed to achieving the best result possible while all the time remaining sensitive to your needs. Please feel free to reach out to us below and will be pleased to discuss your case and offer no obligation advice.
- Bladder cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Bowel cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Breast cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Cervical cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Gastric/stomach cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Laryngeal cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Lung cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Lymphoma misdiagnosis claims
- Melanoma cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Oesophageal cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Ovarian cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Pancreatic cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Prostate cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Renal cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Tongue cancer misdiagnosis claims
- Vulvar cancer misdiagnosis claims